Over The Mountain Journal has an immediate opening for a General Assignment Reporter to help cover the communities south of Birmingham, including Mountain Brook, Homewood, Vestavia Hills and Hoover. The ideal candidate will be an all-around journalist able to produce a strong balance of straightforward news reporting along with features and enterprise stories, and be willing to shoot video and take photographs for both our digital and print platforms.
This position will write stories assigned by editors and establish sources to form their own story ideas. Applicants with page design or graphic design experience are encouraged to apply. Our reporters take their own photographs with DSLR cameras and lenses provided by the newspaper, and will be asked shoot short videos as story sidebars for our website.
– Have a journalism degree, or similar, from a four-year college.
– Have one year of journalism experience at daily newspaper. Recent journalism school graduates with internship, daily newspaper and/or college newspaper experience are encouraged to apply.
– Be able to take photographs.
– Have strong decision-making, communication and interpersonal skills.
– Be a motivated, self-starter who can produce award-winning ideas.
– Have a valid driver’s license and a reliable source of transportation.
Please send a cover letter, resume and no more than five writing clips, as well as any samples of page design and photography, and three professional references to Publisher Maury Wald at email@example.com.