The TimesDaily in Florence, north Alabama’s award-winning seven-day-a-week daily newspaper (20,000 daily; 22,000 Sunday), is accepting applications for executive editor. Florence and the Shoals communities, situated along the Tennessee River, are prosperous and rich in heritage and beauty.
The executive editor oversees newsroom digital and print operations, to include short- and long-term planning, hiring staff, managing budgets and working with beat reporters and independent contractors. The ideal candidate will have a “local-first” philosophy, enjoy working closely with a team of talented photojournalists and designers, while also assisting in day-to-day editing duties. We’re looking for the right leader to aggressively seek out compelling news coverage and to enhance our reputation in watchdog journalism. We want to remain the primary source of local news in our area.
- Publish content that is accurate, timely and of interest to readers via online, mobile or print. Develop quality and quantity of content, supervision, coaching and training of staff. Establish criteria for staff and evaluate personnel on that basis.
- Work with newspaper management team to reach circulation and digital and print readership goals.
- Publish an editorial page that is lively, aggressive, inclusive, challenging and thought-provoking
- Coordinate with other departments to meet deadlines, set deadlines, coordinate content and develop new products.
- Lead convergence efforts with other media in the market, including television and radio.
- Ability to coach and motivate others; has thorough understanding of readers’ needs and expectations; strong public relations; must handle pressure well; ability to work on deadlines;
- In addition to directing the newsroom, the candidate must be capable of innovative online content generation and main Web page news judgment. The candidate should be comfortable with online forums, building databases, developing niche Web products, new technologies, video content, mobile news generation, blogging, Facebook, widgets, feeds and updating the Website with breaking news.
- Ability to adhere to established budget.
Qualified candidates will have an undergraduate college degree, at least 10 years in newspapers, experience in multiple markets, plus significant time as a top editor or managing editor. The ideal candidate will possess the highest standards for journalistic ethics and quality and will have the ability to be a team player who will help foster productive relationships with other newspaper departments.
Send your resume, writing samples and references to Publisher Darrell Sandlin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position closes Oct. 17, 2014.
Tennessee Valley Printing Co. Inc. (TVPCO) operates the TimesDaily, Decatur (AL) Daily, and six weekly newspapers reaching more than 200,000 homes weekly; a dozen Websites with more than 4 million monthly page views, plus TN Valley Media Outdoors’ 106 billboard faces. TVP is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer, offering a competitive salary, full medical benefits and 401(k). Learn more about our newspaper at www.timesdaily.com.