APA Journalism Foundation Internship Program
Applications Must Be Submitted by Friday, March 30, 2018
Newspaper eligibility: must be a newspaper in good standing with the Alabama Press Association.
Student eligibility: open to junior or senior undergraduate students or to students enrolled in a graduate program.
- Up to eight $1,500 internships will be awarded each year
- Newspapers will pay the matching portion of payroll taxes and will reimburse the intern for any business travel or other business expenses. For hours worked, interns must be paid at least minimum wage.
- Host newspapers are expected to let the intern write stories, cover meetings and take photos, just as any newsroom staff member would. Also, the host newspaper must share at least one story (but more are encouraged) of statewide interest on the APA content sharing site.
- Newspaper will apply along with the interns for approval.
- One of the eight interns will be dedicated to developing content on topics of statewide interest for the APA content sharing site. This multi-media intern position will be supervised by the APA staff with assistance from journalism schools and/or retired journalism professionals.
- Students will be required to submit a summary of their work experience to be distributed to the board and possibly published in AlaPressa.